Friday, November 5, 2010

What the hell is "networking"?

So tomorrow, I am going to this fantastic networking event put on by a few wonderful twitterific ladies at a fabulous restaurant .... for networking.
I'm super excited - honestly. I would love to meet new people/Sm biz owners/aspiring people in the area, b/c I feel I can learn and benefit from that meeting and so on and so forth.

The problem lies in the fact that I DON'T KNOW HOW THE HELL TO NETWORK. No, really. I don't. I am asking people left, right, and middle. How do I do this? What do I do? What do I say?

Biggest fear = looking/sounding like a bafoon.
2nd biggest fear = being "that girl". B/c at 34 I still see myself as a "girl".
3rd biggest fear = it all being a big ole flop-ola

My business to promo is my Mary Kay business - which I loooove. But I feel it has a lot of stigma attached to it, i.e. blue eyeshadow (back in style), big hair (hopefully will never come back), and pink cars (really awesome to achieve when you know the deets). But there are so many other awesome things about the company, so I love it.

But how do I parlay these new contacts into profitable customers?

I suppose that is the wrong approach. You know the saying... The get what you want, help others get what they want FIRST. SO the question should be - what can I OFFER these people I will meet tomorrow.... Hmmm. I think I just had an AHA! moment, Oprah-esque. Scary.

But still, seriously... what the hell is networking - I know the stock answer is building relationships with potential future clients/business contacts. Blah Blah Blah.
What do you talk about?
How long does the perma-grin have to be on?
Can I have a damn cocktail? (YES.)

Which leads to a larger conundrum... the almighty identity crisis. The old 24 yr old footloose and fancy free (w/ emphasis on loose) me vs. the 34 yr old mom of 2 sm business owner drastically less footloose (but still loose) adult me. ew.

*sigh*

I suppose it will all come together tomorrow evening. It's something in my head that won't end up being an issue at all. RSVPd attendees seem interesting and I would like to get to know them anyway...

Get ready people - You are about to be dazzled!

No comments:

Post a Comment