Saturday, November 20, 2010

I love to knit - seriously.

I'm gonna do some sewing today.  And tonight I think I am going to knit.
I miss doing these things.  I used to do them a lot, I got really into my knitting before (maybe) and for sure after M was born.  And I have sewn many things too - mostly blankets.  But I've also made curtains and a crib skirt and nursing drapes and even a couple diapers. 
Then I started my MK business and that sucked up some time, a lot of time, and I was pregnant at the time with J so I was tired and couldn't stay away to knit anymore.

It's such a wholesome pasttime, knitting.  I do feel like I'm 80 sometimes, but knitting is actually pretty challenging and it's great for meditating and being by yourself.
Sometimes it's hard to sit still, so the knitting helps with that a ton.  Now that J is sleeping at night (mostly) I feel like I may be getting back to where I can knit some more.
I feel like I'm 80, but I challenge myself to find patterns or things to make that are decidedly not 80.  I made M's first Christmas dress and it turned out awesome!!!  Now I want to make J's - even though it's not her first Christmas, but come to think of it, M's dress wasn't her first Christmas either.  It was her 2nd.  So I guess I'm right on track.


I think what  I miss is the creativity aspect of it and the peace.  And the accomplishment.  I've learned to make several things that are small.  Instant (almost) gratification.  And the bigger things are like, wow - I DID that.
My mom told me that my great-grandma was a pro knitter.  Her not so much, my grandmother (maternal) was a sew-er.
Creating things for fam and friends is fun.  And I like to know that yarn crafts are not dead.  I would love to pass this along to my girls. 

Yeah - gonna pick up the sticks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment