Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Trust vs Control

Can you have both at the same time?
Don't you have to relinquish control at some point if you are truly going to trust?

Have you ever wondered why certain people are always wound up or always frantic?
Why are they always plotting or scheming or figuring or planning?

I think it's b/c they don't have any trust, faith, belief. In anything.

One person cannot do it alone. One person cannot always figure everything out all the time. It's maddening to try to do so (trust me).

At some point in time you have to give your control over to someone else. You have to trust someone/thing else.

I chose to trust God. I was at a point where I didn't know what to do or where to turn or how to go from A to B. But I trusted in God. It took A LOT of practice. I had to train myself to not worry and scheme and lament over all the possibilities or lack thereof.

The Bible says:
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

TRUST. LEAN. ACKNOWLEDGE. STRAIGHT.

Think about this. Lean not on your own understanding... isn't that basically saying to lean on God. Trust in Him. Obey and acknowledge him and HE will make your way straight.

I don't take this literally. That He is going to have you wake up the next day and have an epiphany. But if you look and think and feel through the Holy Spirit, you will see what the right path is to take.

How amazingly freeing is this? Have you tried it?
Stop pretending you know what to do. You know you don't. That is why you are so beside yourself all the time and worried and upset. Give it to God. Put it in his hands. He has given all of us a structure of what to do... guidelines, rules.
Really there are only 2... Love God and love others.

Can it be that easy?
But think about it -when you are upset at someone. When someone irritates you.
Love them.
When you are sad.
Love God.
When you want more.
Love God.

Isn't loving God, serving God?
Isn't serving God, obeying God?
Isn't obeying God, loving our enemy as much as our friends?

Love God, love others.
Trust in God. Lean NOT on your own understanding. In ALL ways acknowledge HIM. He will make your path straight.

Trust. Obey. Love. Listen.

You know.
Sometimes reality is not reality. Sometimes it so hard to see the truth of what it is, you can't. Sometimes you don't want to see it. You don't want to know it. You don't want to admit it. Admitting trust is admitting you don't have control. If you don't have control, who will?
You can't change the past. You can't take an illness away. You can't make damage undone. But to accept a piece lost, to accept a piece different. That is painful. Don't you need God most of all then? Who's going to pull you through?
No one wants to admit when you are not as you were.
If you aren't there yet, that's ok.
My fear controls me as yours does you.
I'll pray for you - I'll pray for your peace and I'll pray for your clarity.
I'll pray for your ability to trust in God and lay your worries at his feet.

Matthew 6:25-26
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

No comments:

Post a Comment