Sunday, July 18, 2010

Even the best laid plans...

Today at church the message was great.
When you're a kid, it's like you hear the same thing over and over and over. Don't do this or don't do that. Don't go there, don't go here. Don't stand up, don't sit down. It's all the same.
But when we "grow up", we never have that guidance anymore. I, for one, always have searched for guidance. I guess I feel like the guidance I had was not that super awesome, so I searched for something better. It took me until a couple years ago to find it at church and that God that everyone was talking about.
Where I grew up, it was a dirty word to be Christan. Now I am proud of it, mostly because I know what that means to me. I don't have to pound it down your throat. Kinda like a kid... if you choke them with something, they don't want it. But if you live it and breathe it and show it in example, it will be picked up.

Today was Joshua 7. Basically this kid named Achan (like oh my achin') stole some plunder from God. Whoops. And then hid it (guilty) and lied about it (dummy). God knows all, so he called them out. Joshua had to facilitate finding who it was and found good ole Achan. When he was confronted, he caved and confessed. And then was stoned and burned. God was pissed at him, what do you expect.
But the BEST part is the start of Ch. 8. So Achan is stoned and burned and all his stuff and people are like oh crap, I better not steal from God. Then on the next battle, the Isrealites are successful again and God says, get this,
(Jos 8:2) "You shall do to Ai and its king as you did to Jericho and its king, except that you may carry off their plunder and livestock for yourselves. Set an ambush behind the city."

Get it. Achan took what he wasn't supposed to and paid with his life. If only he had NOT and waited until they overtook Ai, he would have had alllll he wanted! But he got greedy and tried to get it now. His plan backfired... big time.

So I think, how many times have I tried to get something before God wanted to give it to me? How many times did I jump the gun and get screwed? Probably lots. Who knows. I could be in a different spot maybe. But hindsight IS 20-20. I know that I have turned away from things that were perfectly good, only to, in fact, find something better, just b/c a little voice in my head said to move on (HS?).

This is not the first time I have heard this lesson. I like hearing things over and over. This was coupled with the message that someone else's ruin can affect me too. Like who you hang around affects you, whether you know it or like it or not.
Christian fellowship is key. CHRISTIAN fellowship.
Obedience is key.
FAITH is key.
Having the humility and balls to admit that YOU DON'T CONTROL IT.
Let it roll, people, let it roll.
Let God's plan be your plan even if you don't know what that plan is.
I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment