Ahhh, the sweet smell of love.
No, that's not ass gas. It's love. [insert birds tweeting here]
My friends have it - they just got engaged today, 2nd marriage for both and no need for fresh kidlettes as he has 4 - a Fab Four I might add. I also heard from a friend that doesn't see her marriage continuing much longer. And another told me how she and her husband are distant - not physically, but emotionally.
So it makes me reflect on my love.
Oh, yeah I got some. My love looks like this -
we eat together, love our kids together, sleep together and he asks me before he goes and engrosses himself in his current Video Game du jour.
He asks me b/c last night I gently reminded him that *I* need some attention too. Oh yeah. There's the work, the legal, the kids AAAND the wife.
I kid, but I am serious about our love. Never did I think that I would find a more loving and respectful man to be my partner in life. And to think I found him at a blackjack table and vegas. And knew it was real when we were making out like school kids beside the Pepsi machine in my hotel lobby just hours later! Of course my mom expressed the usual "oh my, how could you have met him in *Vegas*? He could have dragged you out to the Desert and killed you and buried you and I would never have known!"
But I knew. And after a few years, so did he. Just kidding. He knew. But he had to be led along in those early days. Pushed a little, here and there.
Cohabitation, house, marriage, kids, job leaving, job loss, support, help, lifting up, hugging, kissing, more hugging, a little cuddling - ok a lot.
Who's to say what love looks like? I know that my love is outwardly affectionate, but sensitive. Needs to be handled gently sometimes. But I didn't necessarily have that example growing up. More like the opposite I think.
You can write your own way though. You can change things for them to be what you want them to be. I continue to have to work to NOT yell my lungs out at my kid.
But I don't have to work to love my husband. And I like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment